adding jfs after the fact

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jan 5 02:49:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 21:03 -0500, lofstead at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> I neglected to add jfs support when installing FC4.  I can't seem to
> figure out how to add support for it on a running system.  Can anyone
> suggest a proper way to do this?

Check to see if you have the file

	/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko

on your system.  If so, you have jfs installed.  The system should load
it automatically when you try to mount a jfs filesystem:

	mount -t jfs /dev/(partition-name) /mountpoint

If you're creating a jfs filesystem, you need to do JUST ONE of the
following:

	# mkfs -t jfs /dev/(partition-name)
	# jfs_mkfs /dev/(partition-name)

See "man mkfs.jfs" for details on the various options.  Example:  To
build a jfs filesystem on /dev/sdb4, label it as "jfs_test" and mount
it at /jfs_test:

	# mkfs -t jfs -L jfs_test /dev/sdb4
	# mkdir /jfs_test
	# mount -t jfs /dev/sdb4 /jfs_test

-     I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!       -