forgot root pass on fedora core

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 05:11:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 08:48:15PM -0800, mike wrote:
> Hello, I'm a linux newbie and I forgot my root pass on my fedora core
> installation.  What can I do now??

First please don't [Reply] to an unrelated message.  Even if you
change the subject, there is information in the header that tracks
threads.  What you have done is called thread hijacking.  Just start a
new message.

There are two ways:

- Boot to single user.  When the GRUB screen comes up saying it's
  going to boot in 5..4..3..  seconds, hit any key to get the normal
  GRUB menu.  Then with the desired kernel highlighted, hit "a" to
  append to the command.  Then enter " single".  Note the space.  Then
  hit return.  It should boot to single user (AKA maintenance) mode
  with a "#" shell prompt.  Then

  passwd
  (enter the new password twice, as prompted)
  exit

  and let it boot to its normal configuration.

- Boot from disk 1 of your distro to rescue mode (type "linux rescue" at
  the boot prompt).  When it offers to find and mount your system, hit
  the "Continue" button.  It will tell you that your system is mounted
  on /mnt/sysimage.  Then

  chroot /mnt/sysimage
  passwd  # same drill as above
  exit
  exit

Yes, exit twice - once to exit the chroot shell, and again to reboot.
Pop out the CD and let it boot normally.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable