no boot XP after FC4 (REPHRASING OF THE QUESTION)]

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 04:00:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:33:54PM -0500, John Wirt wrote:

> Refugio,
>
> As Allan Grant has evidently not responded to your reply with the
> subject above, could you please add the next steps to your solution?
> Like Alan, I would like to add Linux to a boot manager other than Grub
> but my situation is somewhat different.
>
> The boot manager I am using is Boot-it by Terrabyte Unlimited
> (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/). There are instructions on that
> website for reconfiguring Linux so that it can be added to the boot
> menu. The basic issue is moving Grub to the root directory of the Linux
> partition, as you outline is your instructions to Alan Grant.
>
> However, I also have two SCSI drives in my machine and am in the process
> swapping the position of one for the other. My machine originally came
> with Linux (RedHat Enterprise Workstation v.3) was on the first SCSI
> disk and the second one had a Linux partition on it. So Linux took up
> the whole first disk. A month ago, I swapped the position of the first
> and second drive and installed Windows XP on the new first drive.
>
> I erased the Linux partition on the new first drive and installed a
> primary partition for XP (NTFS), an extended partition with two NTFS
> volume in it, and Boot-it, which requires a small "EMBR" partition (FAT)
> partition. XP works fine. Now I want to add Linux, which is (now) on the
> 2nd SCSI disk, to Boot-it as a boot item. But the Linux on that disk is
> configured to run on a disk that is HD0.
>
> I have tried to (and can) boot my machine to LINUX RESCUE using the
> first CD. The next step, I presume, is that I should follow your
> instructions below to move Grub on the second disk to the root directory
> of the Linux partition on that second drive.

Well, actually, you're going to install it on the boot sector of your
drive, not the root directory.

> Then I must need to
> reconfigure Grub (and or Linux) somehow to tell them that Linux is on
> HD1 and in what partitions.
>
> What I am not sure about is:
>
>  a. What is the name of Linux drive likely to be in this new
> configuration?  /dev/sda  or /dev/sdb?
>
>     As I said above, the new drive 0 with XP on it has one primary NTFS
> partition and an extended partition with 2 volumes on it.

I might guess /dev/sdb, but I'm not all that smart about SCSI.  Boot
to rescue mode, let it mount your system, and then run

  mount

That should show you the device names.

>  b. What is the best way to find out which partition on the Linux drive
> (the second drive) is the swap partition and which is the Linux
> partition? Will fdisk /dev/shX show me this?

Well, yes, but this would be better:

  fdisk -l

That's 'ell' as in list.

>  c. Once I know this, I should be able to use the,
>
>        grub-install /sdXY
>
> command to move Grub to the root partition.

Yes, but you may also need to add the device to
/boot/grub/device.map.

>  d. Then, what else do I need to do to reconfigure Grub and/or Linux so
> that they know that Linux is now on HD1 instead of HD0? I have no clue
> about this.

In /etc/fstab, you need to change any references to /dev/sda to
/dev/sdb or whatever your second drive became.

In /boot/grub/grub.conf, you need to change any references to hd0,x to
hd1,x (I think).

> Having done all of this, I would shut down my machine, remove the Linux
> CD#1 from my CD drive, and my reboot my machine to Boot-It. The Linux
> and swap partitions should then show up in Boot-it. If they do, then I
> know how to add Linux to the boot items.
>
> Boot-it's instructions for installing Linux on the boot menu are in
> items #1 and #2 here
>
>   (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/category.php?id=20).
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> John Wirt

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable