Server will not boot stuck after sarting HAL deamon (OK) .. no other error messages. Thanks!

john.bergeski at alpsautomotive.com john.bergeski at alpsautomotive.com
Tue Jan 10 18:28:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 08:34 -0500, john.bergeski at alpsautomotive.com
wrote:
> Sorry about the message in the subject line, won't happen again.

That's OK.  It just makes following the thread a bit uglier.  One other
thing...we kinda prefer bottom-posting here (making your comments AFTER
what you're commenting on), as I'm doing here.

> When I am at the grub menu I have the following line.
>
> Kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-5.ELsmp ro root=/dev/Volgroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
3

> I deleted the rhgb quiet 3 so it looks like the following:
>
> Kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-5.ELsmp ro root=/dev/Volgroup00/LogVol00
>

> I hit "b" to boot the system but I get the following error:
>
> Booting command-list
>
> Error 27: Unrecognised command

That seems odd.  It may be that grub doesn't understand the capital "K"
you have on the line (I can't recall if grub is case sensitive or not).
Make sure the line reads:

             kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-5.ELsmp ro root=/dev/Volgroup00/LogVol00
3

(lower case "k" in "kernel").  The " 3" means to boot to text mode, not
GUI mode.  BTW, it's pretty obvious here that you do use ext3 AND LVM.

BACKGROUND:
When you get to the boot display, grub displays the labels for the
various kernels it knows about.  To change the boot characteristics for
one of the kernels FOR THIS BOOT ONLY, you use the arrow keys to select
one of those labels and hit "E".  The display should change to show all
lines pertaining to that kernel.  In most cases, there should be three
lines.  Example:

    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4.img

You only want to edit the "kernel" line and leave the other two alone.
So, you use the arrow keys to get to the "kernel" line, then hit "E"
again.  Do whatever editing you want, then press "ENTER" to terminate
the edit session.  Then press "B" and it should boot.  Note that these
edits are temporary...they will affect this boot session only.  If you
wish them to be permanent, you must edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file
after the system comes up.

In case you're curious, the "rhgb" means to use the "Red Hat Graphical
Boot" (that pretty windowed startup screen) and "quiet" means to not
complain about innocuous failures when trying to start X (not getting to
DNS, etc.).

> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 14:03 -0500, john.bergeski at alpsautomotive.com
> wrote:
>
> Please don't put your whole message in the subject line, John.
>
> Are you launching anything from, say, /etc/rc.d/rc.local that doesn't
> let go of the console?  If so, then that's what's happening.
>
> You might also try to boot the system in run level 3 (don't let it go
> to the GUI) and see if it's an X problem.  To do that, at the grub
> menu, hit "E" to edit the boot entry, scroll down to the "kernel" line,
> hit "E" again, go to the end of the line and add " 3" to it (note: you
> must include the space before the "3").  It should look sorta like:
>
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet 3
>
> Then hit the ENTER key and then "B" to boot it.
>
> The system should come up to the text login.  If it does, then you
> have an X configuration issue and you should, as the root user, rerun
> "system-config-display" and make sure X is configured correctly.

Thanks for the information. I got the system to boot into command line per
your instructions. I ran the system-config-display command and the system
boots normally!!