Anti-virus and Firewall protection for Linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 11 20:04:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 11:11 -0800, Albus Dumbledore wrote:
> 	Do I need anti-virus and firewall protection for Linux (RHW-3) like I
> do for Windows. If so what would you recommend?

There are several anti-virus systems available (all for free).  The best
is called "ClamAV".  Just do a Google search for that and you'll find
it.

As to firewalls, Linux comes with something called "iptables", which is
a fully-stateful firewall system.  I'm not sure where the config tool is
located on RHW3, but it'll in one of these two places:

	1. Click on the Red Hat icon, go to "System Tools" and select
	"Security Level".

	2. Click on "Desktop" in the main menu bar, then "System Tools",
	then "Security Level".

>From the command line as the root user, just run either
"system-config-securitylevel" or "redhat-config-securitylevel" (again,
I can't recall which they call it on RHW3).  You can also get a slightly
easier tool to use called "Firestarter".  It uses iptables, but the GUI
is a little easier to use.  Again, just Google for that and you'll find
it.

-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -