vsftpd problem logging on

John Johnston john.johnston at taos.fnsb.lib.ak.us
Thu Jan 12 16:14:01 UTC 2006

I can't get vsftpd to accept my logon creditials.

When I try to connect to the localhost from the system terminal I get.

tp> open localhost
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
220 booklet.nwl.local FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
334 Using authentication type GSSAPI; ADAT must follow
GSSAPI accepted as authentication type
GSSAPI error major: Miscellaneous failure
GSSAPI error minor: Unknown code krb5 195
GSSAPI error: initializing context
GSSAPI authentication failed
334 Using authentication type KERBEROS_V4; ADAT must follow
KERBEROS_V4 accepted as authentication type
Kerberos V4 krb_mk_req failed: You have no tickets cached
Name (localhost:kanikpuk): bearqst
530 Must perform authentication before identifying USER.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>
ftp> user -d username
530 Must perform authentication before identifying USER.
Login failed.
ftp>
ftp> user -d username
530 Must perform authentication before identifying USER.

When I try to connect from a remote host I can logon as a guest, but not
as a user of the system

ftp> open 172.17.65.249
Connected to 172.17.65.249.
220 booklet.nwl.local FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
User (172.17.65.249:(none)): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
pub
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 5 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 5000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> pwd
257 "/" is current directory.
ftp> close
221 Goodbye.
ftp> open 172.17.65.249
Connected to 172.17.65.249.
220 booklet.nwl.local FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
User (172.17.65.249:(none)): username
530 Must perform authentication before identifying USER.
Login failed.

What am I missing

TIA