netwiork server bind failure (98: address already in use)

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 15 22:49:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:37:57PM -0800, mike wrote:
> nsca is a damon for use with nagios, the freeway monitoring system.
>
> that command returned nothing to me as root.  what does that mean?

That means that no process appears to have that port occupied.

> ps axu |
> grep nsca doesn't return anything either.
>
> why can i not find if this nsca daemon is running or not?

Well, I'd say that your "ps axu | grep nsca" tells you it's not.

How is it getting started?

Try starting it by hand.  Check /var/log/messages for clues.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable