netwiork server bind failure (98: address already in use)

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 02:35:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:06:59PM -0800, mike wrote:
> actually this is a daemon that runs under xinetd and actually listens on
> port 5667.
> when i do a netstat like u said but on port 5667 i get this:
>
> tcp    0    0    0.0.0.0:5667           0.0.0.0.*    LISTEN   2740/xinetd
>
> does that look right?

Yep.

> i know this nsca daemon is set to listen on port 5667...

Well, technically it's not a daemon because it doesn't run full-time.
It is a _service_ of xinetd.  It doesn't run until xinetd dispatches a
call to it.  When it has done its job, it goes away.

> thx for helping me out.  i've been trying to get this thing working for days
> now.
>   mike

I don't think I did much, but am glad you got it going.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable