dd and lvm

redhat at buglecreek.com redhat at buglecreek.com
Wed Jan 18 18:19:18 UTC 2006

We have a few redhat ES-4 systems that were originally installed with
lvm across two drives.  We would like to clone the hardrives using dd,
but are not sure if if will work correctly since the drives were setup
using lvm.  Normally I would just do something like the following: dd
if=/dev/hda of=/backup/image.img and do the opposite to the new
hardrive.
 Can this be done with the current lvm setup on these systems?  Will
something like this work: dd if=/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
of=/backup/image.img?  Or maybe do each drive separately?

Thanks