Installing SCSI driver in Linux Rescue

John Wirt j.wirt.112 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 03:17:57 UTC 2006

A new front has opened in my endeaver to install Grub in the Linux root
("/") partition of drive 2 as part of a move to dual boot  Linux RedHat
Enterprise and XP on my machine using Bootit on drive 1 as the boot
manager. XP is on drive 1 and Linux is on drive 1. From Rick Stevens and
others on this forum (thank you), I know the procedure and Linux
commands to accomplish the necessary reinstallation of Grub.

Last night I attempted to reinstall Grub using these commands but
immediately ran into a problem. I have three Adaptec U320 drives on the
machine. Two are combined into one RAID 0 drive (drive 1) and Linux will
be on the third physical drive (drive 2).

I booted to the 1st RedHat Enterprise v.3 CD, selected Linux Rescue, and
got the boot: prompt (I think this was the order). Anyway I ended up at
the Boot: prompt in Linux Rescue.   Fine except in the course of this
boot it was clear that Linux could not find any drivers for my SCSI
drives on the CD. This is not surprising. When I installed XP, I had to
supply drivers. (Linux came installed on the machine by Dell.)

The question is, how can I provide the necessary driver in booting from
the Linux RedHat CD #1.

Dell has sent me the drivers that need to be installed. The driver
package seems to have the solution:

    Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
    For a new installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, you will need to
    use a device driver diskette image. Perform the following steps:
      1. Copy the appropriate device driver diskette image to a Linux system
      2. Put a floppy into the floppy drive
      3. At a command prompt, type "cat dd if=<image name> of=/dev/fd0".
This
          will create your device driver diskette
      4. Boot to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 media
      5. When you receive the "boot:" prompt, type "linux dd"
      6. Follow the instructions onscreen to proceed

Will this work?

After loading the SCSI driver, I have to run the   install-grub  command
from Boot: to complete the Linux (re)installation.

Apparently, I have to go to my friend's house and have him make the
device driver diskette (my friend is a Linux technician). Then, I can
load the driver from the disketter at the Boot: command.

Will this work?  Since the Linux running in memory from the CD sees no
SCSI drives, where  will it  put the driver? In memory? And then, boot
the SCSI drives? Is this going to work?

The copy of Linux already installed on drive 2 has the necessary SCSI
driver. The desired final configuration will be, selecting Linux from
the Bootit boot menu will "boot" Grub in the root partition on drive 2,
which will boot Linux on drive 2.

Just to be complete, the final configuration is planned to be:

      Drive 1
         Part 1   MBR   XP
         Part 2   Windows XP
         Part 3   EMBR  (Extended Master Boot Record for Bootit boot
manager)
         Part 4  Extended Partition
         Part 5     Volume
         Part 6     Volume