FC4 and Intel 82559 NIC?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat Jan 21 22:23:55 UTC 2006

>>> RH8.
>>> Everything seems to have gone smoothly EXCEPT the LAN does not work.
>>> the
>>> remainder of the network. I've tried both static IP and DHCP. Neither
seems to work. Do I need a special driver for the NIC? If so, where do

>>> followed the instructions there. Stuff is still not working. Looking
at
>>> /var/log/messages, I see
>>> 00:E0:81:03:AF:3C

>>> actually
>>> IP addresses assigned to your NIC.  Next (also as root), do "netstat -rn"
>>> and verify that the default gateway is pointing at your router.

>>> SELinux.  Try turning off iptables temporarily by "service iptables off"
>>> (as root again).  If that doesn't work, try (as root) "setenforce 0"
>>> temporarily disable SELinux.
>>> >
>>> Thanks for the responses! It's really a pain to not have network
connectivity. I can't just copy and paste stuff into an email.
Instead,
>>> I'm copying off one screen and typing on another (my laptop). So
excuse
>>> the typos! It's interesting that I'm having network problems with this
one
>>> machine. I've installed FC4 on another server and my laptop with no
problem. Oh well...
>>> I tried the stuff above to get the network back and was about to type all
>>> the results when I thought I'd try something else (anything to avoid
typing all that stuff). This is a dual processor machine that had
always
>>> worked fine using SMP on RH8. I tried telling it to NOT run smp on a
reboot, and the network works great! No other changes! I'll mess with
it
>>> some more in the next couple days. Is anyone else running smp on FC4?
>> I do, a lot.  Two things to check...first, make bloody sure the
motherboard is running the latest BIOS from the vendor.  If this is an
AMD-based SMP machine, try booting with the "noapic" option set (add "
noapic" to the end of the kernel line at the grub boot screen). If you
don't know how to do that:
>> 1. Boot the machine.
>> 2. At the screen that displays the various kernels, use the arrow keys
to select the SMP kernel and hit "E".
>> 3. Use the arrow keys to scroll down to the line that starts with
"kernel".
>> 4. Hit "E" again.  Use the arrow keys to go to the end of the line. 5.
Put in " noapic" (don't forget the space) at the end of the line. 6.
Hit "ENTER" to exit the edit mode, then "B" to boot the machine. 7. The
machine should now boot with the "noapic" option.
>> NOTE: This is temporary and will only survive this boot.  If you need
the "noapic" option permanently, you must edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf
file.

> Thanks! I'll give it a try! The BIOS is the original one that came with
the board (maybe 5 years ago). I haven't done any BIOS upgrades in a
while, but back when I did, they seemed to assume you were running DOS.
> just looked at the Tyan website and see that BIOS updates are done by
booting from floppy with DOS. I'll try upgrading the BIOS as soon as I
can
> find the time (within a week, I hope). Ideally that will ALSO fix the
problem I had when I tried a pair of 80G drives (install went fine, but
then during reboot the drives could not be found by FC4... the BIOS says
they're there, though.).

> THANKS!
>
> Harold

Following up on this, the bios update DID get the NIC working! I'm really
surprised the bios had anything to do with the NIC. I tend to think of the
old days where bios did more basic things... Anyway, it works! The update
still doesn't make my new Hitachi 80G drives work, but the old 40G drives
are working fine, so I guess I'll stick with them for a while. During the
FC4 install, pretty early in the install, I get a complaint that hda could
not be found. The system then continues with the install. When installing
the file system, it properly identifies both drives. The installation then
continues fine. On reboot, the system starts and loads some stuff and then
gives some sort of drive not found error.

Error messages on reboot include:
Couldn't find device with uuid '.....' (skipping the long numbers)
Couldn'tfind all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup01.
Couldn't find device with uuid '.....' (same id as last time)
Volume group "VolGroup01" not found
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally with value 5 !(pid 396).

... bunch more error messages, then kernel panic.

So, I guess the bios perhaps doesn't like these drives? But it (and FC4)
seem to identify them properly.

Harold