Fedora Install/Upgrade from RedHat 8.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 24 19:33:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 11:43 -0700, Patrick Wambach wrote:
> I am a Windows Admin looking to learn more about linux so any help
> would be appreciated.
>

> I have an older laptop that I setup a couple of years ago with Redhat
> 8.0 with kernel 2.4.18.  The problem that I have is that it does not
> have an internal CDROM drive or floppy or BIOS that supports USB
> booting.  I have downloaded the FEDORA 5 Test 2 DVD and was wondering
> if there is a way to run the install/upgrade on an existing red hat
> install to upgrade to the latest Fedora.  In Windows you can kick off
> the installer ontop of the existing Windows install.  Is there an
> equiviant option for Fedora??

Whoo, boy.  How did you install RH8.0?  You had to have SOME form of
removable media.

Someone else replied that they did an up2date upgrade from 7.3 to FC3.
You can try that but it may not be successful (such a major upgrade
can be problematic).

-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -