ghost for linux

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Thu Jul 13 02:48:57 UTC 2006

> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 20:22 -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> Thanks to the help from this list, I now have FC5 running on my HP
>> zv6000
>> AMD64 laptop. Next trick is to make a backup so I don't mess things up.
>> Based on suggestions from the list, I'm trying out g4l. I'm making an
>> image on a USB hard drive. This seems to work, but I suspect the image
>> is
>> larger than it needs to be because I didn't clear out the unused space
>> on
>> the laptop drive. g4l comes with a simple script to write nulls to the
>> drive, then delete the created file. The script is:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M
>> rm /0bits
>>

>> When I run it as root, I get the following errors:
>>
>> ./CleanDrive.sh
>> ./CleanDrive.sh: line 2: dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M: No such file
>> or
>> directory
>> ./CleanDrive.sh: line 3: rm /0bits: No such file or directory
>>

>> Ideas?
>
> When you say "I run it as root", did you "su" or "su -"?  You MUST use
> "su -", as "dd" is in /bin and that's not part of a regular user's PATH.
>
> "su" only changes your UID/GID to root.  "su -" also gives you root's
> environment (including root's PATH).  Alternately, you could change the
> script to "/bin/dd if=...." (in other words, specify the full path to
> dd).

Thanks! I always wondered what the - did. I just used su. Anyway, I did su
- and fully specified the path to dd and it still seems to have
problems...

[root at hhlaptop Desktop]# ./CleanDrive.sh
./CleanDrive.sh: line 2: /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M: No such
file or directory
./CleanDrive.sh: line 3: rm /0bits: No such file or directory
[root at hhlaptop Desktop]#

More ideas?

THANKS!

Harold