RHEL4 install format problem on Dell PowerEdge w/PERC RAID

Thomas Walter tbw at geo.hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Jul 17 15:51:59 UTC 2006

I decided to install RHEL4 update 3 on a Dell PowerEdge 2400 that was
running RH9. This machine has hardware RAID 5. The machine can't format
the / (root) partition. I've tried RHEL 4 update 2 and 3 and Fedora 5.
RHEL4 update 3 hangs in graphic mode but shows multiple error messages in
text mode. RHEL 4 update 2 and FC5 come back with the following error
message:

A error occurred trying to format VolGroup/LogVol00 (which is root). This
problem is serious and the install cannot continue. I tried deleting the
LVM related info in the next install and just use the hard disk info but
received they same error with sda3.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tom

Thomas Walter
Geography Department
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

(212)772-5457 Office
(212)772-5268 Fax