Xorg Hangs-was Gnome-panel hangs

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 1 20:42:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 12:13 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Thu, June 1, 2006 10:50 am, Rick Stevens said:
> >> access
> >> that
> >> doesn't
> >> back

> >> and
> >>
> >> Okay, I've figured something out, but the solution evades me, other than
> >> non-use of the offending application. What is it?
> >>
> >> mplayer-1.0pre8-0.7.20060418
> >>
> >> I typically listen to online radio with mplayer. When I run it, the panel
> >> dies
> >> in either gnome, KDE or xfce. Strange but true. I've had KDE up for 3 hours
> >> and then ran mplayer to show my son some WoW vids he created that were on an
> >> older hard disk he was going to format because he couldn't access it in
> >> WinXP-Semi-Pro (yum install kmod-ntfs;mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/rmv)
> >>
> >> So, any thoughts now?
> >
> > Which Linux are you running, Karl, and are you fully updated?  I know
> > there were some issues with mplayer on FC5's default gnome.
>
> FC5, fully updated. I manually run yum update as well as having it 'cron'ed.
>
> I do have a few extra repos setup:
>
> [fedora 7 repos]
> freshrpms
> greysector
> livna [3 repos]
> macromedia
>
> I've worried about things a bit, but last night, exactly at the time I clicked
> 'SEND' on this email, I noticed my sound was also dead and killed the artsd
> daemon, which restarted, and my panels came back to life in KDE. So, things
> are much better, but I'm also not running mplayer to radio stations anymore.

Hmmm.  I don't use mplayer very often.  For radio, I typically use xmms.
There may be an issue with the handling of one of the codecs under
mplayer--particularly if it started life as a Windows codec.  It'd be
interesting if you could specify different stream formats for the
stations and see if one format caused the error.  If so, then I'd really
suspect the codec.

-                 All generalizations are false.                     -