Xorg Hangs-was Gnome-panel hangs

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Jun 5 23:42:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, June 1, 2006 3:15 pm, karlp at ourldsfamily.com said:

> On Thu, June 1, 2006 2:42 pm, Rick Stevens said:
>>> go
>>> conclusion
>>> goes

>>> work
>>> and

>>> panel
>>> hours
>>> on
>>> an

>>> FC5, fully updated. I manually run yum update as well as having it
>>> 'cron'ed.
>>>
>>> I do have a few extra repos setup:
>>>
>>> [fedora 7 repos]
>>> freshrpms
>>> greysector
>>> livna [3 repos]
>>> macromedia
>>>
>>> I've worried about things a bit, but last night, exactly at the time I
>>> clicked
>>> 'SEND' on this email, I noticed my sound was also dead and killed the artsd
>>> daemon, which restarted, and my panels came back to life in KDE. So, things
>>> are much better, but I'm also not running mplayer to radio stations
>>> anymore.
>>
>> Hmmm.  I don't use mplayer very often.  For radio, I typically use xmms.
>> There may be an issue with the handling of one of the codecs under
>> mplayer--particularly if it started life as a Windows codec.  It'd be
>> interesting if you could specify different stream formats for the
>> stations and see if one format caused the error.  If so, then I'd really
>> suspect the codec.
>
> I suspect you are right. One major problem with mplayer in the current
> situation is that some formats don't come across clearly. They are just static
> and noise... I'm wondering if I back off the codecs and install different
> ones... Experimentation coming... Time isn't, drat.
>
> I can do xmms. I used to use it a lot until the mp3 stuff came up. But, I rip
> to ogg now so that's not even an issue too much, other than the 300+ mp3s I
> like.

Update:

I found that I was missing codecs. I installed just mplayer-codecs and things
seem to have tamed down a bunch.

But, if the codecs were hosed and I removed them sometime back, how did
mplayer work at all? Are there 'built-in' codecs mplayer relies on?

Now, if only totem came with ANYTHING to make it work, I could try it. Xine
works okay, but I installed Ogle, and am happy again with DVD playing.

Karl