Xorg Hangs-was Gnome-panel hangs

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 6 17:10:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 17:42 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

> >> Hmmm.  I don't use mplayer very often.  For radio, I typically use xmms.
> >> There may be an issue with the handling of one of the codecs under
> >> mplayer--particularly if it started life as a Windows codec.  It'd be
> >> interesting if you could specify different stream formats for the
> >> stations and see if one format caused the error.  If so, then I'd really
> >> suspect the codec.
> >
> > I suspect you are right. One major problem with mplayer in the current
> > situation is that some formats don't come across clearly. They are just static
> > and noise... I'm wondering if I back off the codecs and install different
> > ones... Experimentation coming... Time isn't, drat.
> >
> > I can do xmms. I used to use it a lot until the mp3 stuff came up. But, I rip
> > to ogg now so that's not even an issue too much, other than the 300+ mp3s I
> > like.
> >

> Update:
>
> I found that I was missing codecs. I installed just mplayer-codecs and things
> seem to have tamed down a bunch.

That's good.

> But, if the codecs were hosed and I removed them sometime back, how did
> mplayer work at all? Are there 'built-in' codecs mplayer relies on?

I'm not sure if it has any built in except the mencoder codec.  There
are two RPMs worth of codecs, though: mplayer-codecs and
mplayer-codecs-extra.

> Now, if only totem came with ANYTHING to make it work, I could try it. Xine
> works okay, but I installed Ogle, and am happy again with DVD playing.

Totem is just a front end for xine.  If xine works, totem should.

-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -