memory limits to es3, u4

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Fri Jun 9 18:58:48 UTC 2006

greetings,

I've just built my third dual-processor dual-core opteron server.  for
application reasons, I'm using RHES 3.0, U4.  RHES only supports 2
processors, and this looks like 4.  but that's not my concern, necessarily.

I bought the server w/8gb ram, but the os only sees 3gb.  the bios sees
it all, and it tests ok, but top and /proc/meminfo both say 3gb.  kernel
is  2.4.21-27.ELsmp

is this a known issue, or is it just me?  do I need to update something?

p.s. I stumbled across a suggestion to add "mem=8000M" to grub.conf, but
that hasn't helped.

adv(thanks)ance

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

     "If the human body did patch management the way
      (companies do), we'd all be dead."

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence