logon limits?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 20 18:04:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 10:44 -0700, chuck lawrence wrote:
> hi,
>
> thanks to all for the bigmem/hugemem advice.  my dual opteron now sees
> 8gb.  on to a different question...
>
> my windows AD domain allows me to set domain users "logon hours", which
> supposedly can limit specific users to specific hours.  is there a linux
> equivalent?

Yes.  It's a bit long to go into in an email posting, but if you do
"man login" and look at the "SPECIAL ACCESS RESTRICTIONS" section
dealing with /etc/usertty, you'll see how to do it.

> I'm planning to convert my whole family to linux, with codeweavers to
> deal with the handful of windows-only stuff.  it'd be cool to be
> draconian and kick my kids off automatically.

Oh, well, kicking your kids off automatically is a totally different
thing.  What I describe above sets login restrictions...it does nothing
for kicking them off once they're logged in.

If you do want to kick them off, that's fairly easily done by having
root's crontab launch a shell script that parses the output of "who",
"lastlog" or "ps -U kid-user-name" and issues kill commands to the kids'
shells.  For example, assuming the kid's username is "fred", you could:

	ps -U fred | awk '{system("kill -9 "$1)}'

Note that it's pretty drastic...it will pull the rug out from them
completely leaving open files, etc.  You have been warned!

-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -