Email Help

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 20:07:58 UTC 2006

On 6/24/06, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

> > > The instructions were:
> > >
> > > Make sure dovecot was installed on the FC2 box using "service
> > > dovecot status" seems to be working OK.
> > >
> > > Then using telnet 192.168.1.55 143 from the XP box and I get
> > > dovecot answering back.
> > >
> > > Setting up Outlook to go to 192.168.1.44 using IMAP (port 143).
> > > On the old machine the email came right over.  ON the new machine
> > > I get a TCP/IP error.
> >
> > Does the new machine have the Windows Firewall enabled by default? If
> > so try turning it off to see if that's the issue and, if it was,
> > change the port permissions to get around it.
> >
> > Look in the Windows Control Panel, Security section I believe, to find
> > the firewall.
> >
> > Hope this  helps,
> > Mark
> >
> Thanks Mark,  I checked the Windows Firewall and it was off.  I
> dug through it and found where it would be setup to block IMAP
> and port 143 turned it on and turned on the firewall.  No change.
> Same error - file not found TCP/IP error.
>
> Brad

Brad,
   Sorry it wasn't that easy.

   I guess I'm a little confused by the instructions above. I presume
that the first command

telnet 192.168.1.55 143

Is telnetting from XP to the Linux machine at 192.168.1.55  on port
143. If so, then why is the second command using 192.168.1.44? Isn't
the machine at 55, not 44?

   What are the addresses of the two (or three) machines involved?

   Anyway, I'm of little or no help here. Just thought I'd pick off an
easy one. Guess not.

Cheers,
Mark