Email Help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sun Jun 25 19:18:36 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 15:20 -0600, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > On 6/24/06, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> > <SNIP>

> > > Thanks Mark,  I checked the Windows Firewall and it was off.  I
> > > dug through it and found where it would be setup to block IMAP
> > > and port 143 turned it on and turned on the firewall.  No change.
> > > Same error - file not found TCP/IP error.
> > >
> > > Brad
> >
> > Brad,
> >   Sorry it wasn't that easy.
> >
> >   I guess I'm a little confused by the instructions above. I presume
> > that the first command
> >
> > telnet 192.168.1.55 143
> >
> > Is telnetting from XP to the Linux machine at 192.168.1.55  on port
> > 143. If so, then why is the second command using 192.168.1.44? Isn't
> > the machine at 55, not 44?
> >
> >   What are the addresses of the two (or three) machines involved?
> >
> >   Anyway, I'm of little or no help here. Just thought I'd pick off an
> > easy one. Guess not.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark

> Mark,
>
> I think it's mostly because I'm a poor typest.  It should be
> 192.168.1.55  for both.

First off, I'm going to assume that 192.168.1.55 is the Linux box,
right?  I say that because you said that "telnetting to 192.168.1.55
143" showed you that dovecot was answering the bell.  So, regardless
of which machine you entered that command on, obviously 192.168.1.55
is the machine with dovecot on it, and is therefore your IMAP server.

Now, I really don't care what IP the XP box has, but you SHOULD set up
the XP box to pick up mail using IMAP from the server at 192.168.1.55.
You must also make sure that ALL the machines that are going to be
participating in the IMAP stuff have port 143 open on their firewalls.

-     Warning:  You are logged into reality as the root user...      -