Fedora Core Five Borked!

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Jun 27 04:30:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, June 26, 2006 10:50 am, Rick Stevens said:
> On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 22:40 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> My FC5 system died. It won't boot. It gets to a line that says:
>>
>> device-mapper: 4.6.0-ioctl (2006-02-17) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com
>>
>> and just hangs. The system has mirrored sata_sil disks, with a couple IDE
>> disks and a DVD/RW drive.
>>
>> Apparently, from my testing and messing around, it's after a nightly yum
>> update that the system quit booting. I reinstalled twice now. The sytem
>> rebooted and worked fine, then I did
>>
>> yum update
>>
>> which updated over 600 packages and the system wouldn't boot the next time I
>> tried to reboot. So, this time I haven't updated it and it's booted several
>> times just fine. I think I'll go ahead and let it update, then not shut it
>> down until a few more updates of things... I did find a google (one hit)
>> that
>> stated something about using devel repos. There's one for fedora, which I've
>> renamed and I suspect that might be my problem, so may do an update without
>> those enabled.
>>
>> So, what's the general concensus, if any, on this issue?
>
> Did you try reverting the kernel back to something earlier?  There have
> been some issues with udev and later 2.6.16 kernels on some hardware.
> Check the archives on the fedora-list.  I can do some research if you
> can give me the hardware info.

I've reverted and can get in. I made the original kernel the default so I
don't have to pay so close attention when it boots.

I am on an A7N8X-E Asus _Deluxe_ Motherboard. I wish it came with Adaptec SATA
Mirroring rather than sata_sil (3112A, IIRC). Adaptec comes with a nice Java
HTTP manager, but it messes system performance if you leave it running.

I guess I ought to go take a look at the fedora lists... Hmmm.

Karl