The who command

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Thu Jun 29 20:59:16 UTC 2006

See below.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Mark
McCulligh
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 3:10 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: The who command

Rick Stevens wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:55 -0400, Mark McCulligh wrote:
>

>>Rick Stevens wrote:

>>>"who" is based on what's in /var/log/utmp or /var/log/wtmp.  If one
of
>>>those files is not present, who can't report on users.  However,
>>>/var/log/wtmp is MANDATORY on Linux and is created by init if it does
>>>not exist.
>>>

>>I have tried using the root user. The wtmp file does exist but is
>>blank.  Any ideas?
>>

>When you say "blank", what do you mean?  Remember that it's a binary
>file, so "cat" or "vi" are liable to spit out garbage or nothing.
>
>Can you post an "ls -l" of it?  It should look something like this:
>
>[root at prophead ~]# ls -l /var/log/wtmp
>-rw-rw-r--  1 root utmp 364416 Jun 27 15:42 /var/log/wtmp

This is what I get:
[root at calonweb001 log]# lis -l /var/log/wtmp
-rw-rw-r--  1 root utmp 0 Jun  1 04:02 /var/log/wtmp

There is also a wtmp.1 file that also size 0.

Mark.

How much free space is there on the file system that has the utmp and
wtmp files? Some system use to keep the utmp and wtmp file in /etc and
later they were changed to symbolic links to other locations such as
/var/log. So some commands may look in the /etc directory and some
commands may look in /var/log. If the symbolic link has been deleted
then the data may be in /etc and the who command is looking in /var/log
for the files.

Jack Allen