Sharing Printer

Kevin Raber ktr at mtu.edu
Mon Mar 6 04:06:35 UTC 2006

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, March 5, 2006 4:59 pm, brad.mugleston at comcast.net said:
>>> I've got SAMBA set up on my Linux computer and my son is over and
>>> he needs to connet his XP notebook to the network to print on my
>>> printer.
>>>
>>> XP is all messed up, it's nothing like anything I've played with
>>> before and I can't seem to get it to even find my printer or any
>>> of my shared drives.  I was able to figure out how to set up a
>>> workgroup on his computer that matched the one on my Linux
>>> machine (same as the other windows computers use).
>>>
>>> He is getting on the wireless network in the house and that part
>>> works OK.
>>>
>>> Anyway, how does an XP connect to my Linux drives and printer.
>> I think you have to setup the login name he uses on XP as a user on the
>> Linux Samba server. Either that or the name of the XP Computer. You've got a
>> good start with the workgroup name, but in my experience it's not necessary
>> if you set the other part up. I apologize for not knowing whether it's the
>> PC name or the login name. To see the syntax, however, type addsmbuser at #
>> and see what it says.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Karl
>>
> Karl,
>
> Thanks for the help but I can't figure it out - yet.  The command
> addsmbuser didn't work but I found smbadduser which doesn't like
> anything I put in.  The computer name is DFOPH071 (assigned from
> the install I guess) but smbadduser DFOPH071 gives and error
> looking for a different format.
>
> He doesn't have to login onto his computer, it just boots and he
> is there.  I'll try to do some more web searches - I had to
> borrow his computer to run my tax software and now I can't
> print it out.  8^(
>
> Brad

Brad,

    You could always map a Samba share as a Samba user, then you would
be able to see any shared printers.  Right-click My Computer, choose Map
Network drive, choose a letter, and the share

\\sambaservername\share

then click Connect using different user name, and use one of your Samba
user names to map the shared drive.  XP will cache the user name and
password entered, so now click Start, Run, and enter:

\\sambaservername

then click OK, and you should get a list of all your Samba shares,
including the printer(s).  XP should lose the cached information when
you logout or reboot.  I don't think you can enter "different user" info
to install a printer directly, but this should work.  If that doesn't
work, install CutePDF, and email it to yourself (electronic sneakernet)
- good luck,

Kevin