Printing to printer on Windoze machine

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Tue Mar 21 13:42:49 UTC 2006

The next, in my long list of projects, is to be able to print from my FC4
laptop to a Xerox 950 printer on a Windoze ME machine on the network. I
set it up to emulate a Postscript printer following the instructions at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/heretrythis/hp3100/psemu9x.html . I am able
to print to it as an Apple something or another from my wife's Windoze ME
laptop on the network, so it appears to be properly emulating postscript
and being shared.

On my laptop, I go to http://localhost:631/ and try to set up the printer.
I give the URI (which is where I think the problem is) as
smb://192.168.1.5/psemu where psemu is what the printer is named on the
Windoze machine (and how it shows up on my wife's laptop). When I try to
print to it, I get "ERROR: Connection failed with error
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL".

Finally, if I use Konqueror, I CAN see the shared directories and files at
smb://192.168.1.5 .

So... what am I doing wrong?

THANKS!

Harold