Printing to printer on Windoze machine

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Tue Mar 21 15:54:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 05:42:49AM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> The next, in my long list of projects, is to be able to print from my FC4
> laptop to a Xerox 950 printer on a Windoze ME machine on the network. I
> set it up to emulate a Postscript printer following the instructions at
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/heretrythis/hp3100/psemu9x.html . I am able
> to print to it as an Apple something or another from my wife's Windoze ME
> laptop on the network, so it appears to be properly emulating postscript
> and being shared.
>
> On my laptop, I go to http://localhost:631/ and try to set up the
> printer.

Do I recall correctly that that is the web interface to CUPS admin?
If so, drop it like a hot potato.  I tried to use it when changed
printers and never got the printer to print right.  I even lodged a
bug report on CUPS.  Then I used "system-config-printer" to set it up
and all became sweetness and light.

> I give the URI (which is where I think the problem is) as
> smb://192.168.1.5/psemu where psemu is what the printer is named on the
> Windoze machine (and how it shows up on my wife's laptop). When I try to
> print to it, I get "ERROR: Connection failed with error
> NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL".
>
> Finally, if I use Konqueror, I CAN see the shared directories and files at
> smb://192.168.1.5 .
>
> So... what am I doing wrong?
>
> THANKS!
>
> Harold