Help I've got an XP on my Linux network

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Tue Mar 21 18:23:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:55:20AM -0700, Mugleston, Brad wrote:
> Here's the low down.  For school purposes we ended up having to purchase
> a Windows machine to run the kids school software (AMD 64 processor so I
> can't wait to assumeulate it into Linux).  But as it's there I want to
> get it working with the network.  I've got SAMBA working on my server
> (FC4) and have somehow managed to map some drives (late last night, hope
> there are still mapped today).  My next step is to set up Email as I
> have my server picking up email from all the places the kids have email
> accounts and delivering it to Linux mail boxes.   I haven't set up
> Outlook for a few years but if I remember correctly it wasn't too
> difficult but then in the older version of windows and mapping a drive
> under SAMBA wasn't too difficult either.
>
> Does anyone know of a good website (with pretty pictures) on how to do
> this or can someone talk me out of (or through) doing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're missing.  I take it you want to
be able to pick up mail from the Linux mail server from the XP box.
You should have dovecot, the POP3 and IMAP server, installed on the
mail server.  Check that it's turned on with "service dovecot
status".  I think it's correctly configured out of the box, but check
it to be sure.

I imagine Outhouse^H^H^H^H^Hlook configures like most clients.  You
need to set the name or IP address of the mail server from which to
pick up the mail, and specify POP3 or IMAP protocol.  Presumably, you
also need to set the outgoing server to be the same.  Back on the
linux box, you need to have the SMTP server (usually sendmail) accept
mail from your local network.  Can't help you there - I use postfix.

These may help:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO.html
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mail-User-HOWTO/index.html

Cheers,