Printing to printer on Windoze machine

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Wed Mar 22 04:30:51 UTC 2006

>> at
>> Windoze
>> postscript

>> > Do I recall correctly that that is the web interface to CUPS admin?
>> > If so, drop it like a hot potato.  I tried to use it when changed
>> > printers and never got the printer to print right.  I even lodged a
>> > bug report on CUPS.  Then I used "system-config-printer" to set it up
>> > and all became sweetness and light.

>> the

>> files

>> > Cheers,
>> > --
>> > Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
>>

>> OK, I'll give that a try! Does the URI for the printer look right? Or is
>> there something more, perhaps, that needs to go between the IP address
>> and
>> the printer name (psemu)?
>>
>> THANKS!
>>
>> Harold
>
> I don't know about using the URI.  In system-config-printer, you fill
> in separate boxes for the printer name, hostname or IP address, and
> workgroup name.  I just tested it by configuring to print to my wife's
> Epson printer hooked up to her XP box.

Hmmm. Nothing is ever simple. The system-config-printer help says it'll
scan the network and find shared printers. It didn't. My wife's Windoze ME
did. I then put in the Workgroup (HomeNet). For server, I tried Sony (the
name of the machine), 192.168.1.5 (its IP address), and smb://192.168.1.5.
For share, I used PSEMU (which is what the share is set to, and my wife's
Windoze machine finds it under that name). For username, I tried "harold"
since I log into the desktop with the printer with that name, and as
guest, as suggested in the help file. I set the password that worked on my
wife's laptop. So far, nothing works. The dialog box keeps coming back.

I'll plug this machine into the network at work tomorrow and see if it
finds anything there. Any more ideas?

THANKS!

Harold

--