Help I've got an XP on my Linux network

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Mar 26 00:01:25 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 March 2006 23:41, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> Anyway, I've got a family XP box that almost everyone in the
> house uses (but me)  I've got a FC4 box in the basement that uses
> Fetchmail to go out and grab emails off the web (lots of various
> sites for the same people)  and brings them
> home for people to read (/var/spool/mail/loginname) - they use to
> use my Linux box (or notebook or a different linux machine) but now
> they want to use the XP machine (teenagers, don't know what to do
> with them).  Anyway they have Outlook on the XP machine and everyone
> has their own account.
>
> I can now map drives from the FC4 box to the XP.  I can also
> print to the printers attached to different Linux machines.  But
> I can't figure out how toget Outlook to read the mail on the FC4
> machine.
>
> What I'd really like is the ability to leave the mail on the FC4
> machine if possible - that way I can back it up.  But if that's
> not availabe I'll live with that.  They will just have to learn
> that when they use the notebook (linux) they will not have access
> to their mail.

The easiest way for you to do this is to install an IMAP server on the
FC4 machine, and connect to that from the XP box with a suitable
username and password.
You can also read these emails locally on the FC4 box by pointing your
mail client at localhost.

The easiest IMAP server for Fedora is called dovecot
yum install dovecot
chkconfig dovecot on
service dovecot start
should be about all you need.
then point the outlook machines at your fedora box as an incoming
mailserver, using IMAP, port 143. The mail will remain on the fedora
box. Just be certain you have opened up port 143 on that box to hosts
on your local network (or preferably, just the XP box)

HTH

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCA, RHCX