Help I've got an XP on my Linux network

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Mar 26 10:50:45 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 03:05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Ted Potter wrote:
> > On 3/25/06, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net>
wrote:
> > > What I'd really like is the ability to leave the mail on the FC4
> > > machine if possible - that way I can back it up.  But if that's
> > > not availabe I'll live with that.  They will just have to learn
> > > that when they use the notebook (linux) they will not have access
> > > to their mail.

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Ted Potter wrote:
<with judicious snipping>
> > 3. in the pop3 server name use
> > 192.168.1.55
IMAP not POP3, surely? (to meet the requirement quoted above)
more explanations below

> > for a simple test on the windows machine get to the dos prompt.
> > they type:
> > telnet 192.168.1.55 110

if you set up your outlook accounts to use your FC4 box as a POP3
server, be aware that they will download all their email messages to
the XP box (and remove them from the FC4 box) whenever you check your
email (unless you take steps to prevent this). They are then stored
somewhere seemingly random on your windows box (temporary internet
files somewhere, IIRC. Dunno, haven't used windows for email in ages!)
in a horrible proprietary format.
if you want the messages to remain on the FC4 box you will have to use
IMAP, which stores messages on the server and copies message
headers/bodies across the local net work on demand, keeping track of
their read/unread status on the server. So if you connect from a
different box to the same server you see all the same messages.
Using IMAP should just be only slightly different in Outlook settings
(just choose the IMAP rather than POP option when you name your
incoming mail server).
the telnet test for IMAP is similar to the above except that it uses a
different port:
telnet 192.168.1.55 143

incidentally, the telnet prompt sometimes confuses people. If you use
it, to cancel the session type
<ctrl> and ] together, followed by 'quit <enter>'

Regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA, RHCX