Help I've got an XP on my Linux network

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sun Mar 26 23:03:09 UTC 2006

Greetings Stuart ,

Stuart Sears wrote:

< snip >

> if you set up your outlook accounts to use your FC4 box as a POP3
> server, be aware that they will download all their email messages to
> the XP box (and remove them from the FC4 box) whenever you check your
> email (unless you take steps to prevent this).

Things aren't that horrible . Let's assume Brad creates an Account
( In Outlook Express ) named "Comcast" . Then if he right clicks on
Comcast he will be presented with a set of options . One of them
is Server . Selecting Server will open a new tab . At that tab he
just has to selelct Leave message on Server or to delete it after
"n" number of days . That's all . The mail remains on the server should he
wish to do so .

They are then stored
> somewhere seemingly random on your windows box (temporary internet
> files somewhere, IIRC. Dunno, haven't used windows for email in ages!)
> in a horrible proprietary format.

Well yes they are stored in a propiertary format ( with Microsoft Windows
that happens always ) . Now somewhere is :
Document and Settings / Brad / Application Data / Microsoft /Outlook Express
  or  Documents and Settings / Brad /Application Data /Outlook Express .
It's in there he can't miss it should he ever want to find it ( I prefer
to use Linux for email so i don't recall the exact directory , it's
under Application Data though for certain ) . A Better way though would
be to download the windows version of Mozilla who would be pretty happy to
convert that thing to the Mozilla file format  ( the original file
remains intact ) .
Now if you consider that the Mozilla file format  remains the same
regardless if you
run the Windows or the Linux version , you neutralize the propiertary
format
that Microsoft Outlook Express stores the email .

Regards,
   Kostas