Gnome FC5 Error

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 1 21:10:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 19:09 -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
> I mentioned in a previous email some issues with running gnome-session
> as my default X-win manager for FC5. The major problem it seems is when
> I run gnome-terminal. I have tried xfce, which is quite nice but lacking
> of some features I prefer. So, I'm back to KDE, which isn't a bad
> alternative to Gnome.
>
> I use Lineakd for mapping my keyboard and I have a key assigned to
> "gnome-terminal --geometry 80x60". Even in KDE when I use it, g-term
> comes up but it remains black. So I ran it in konsole and here's the
> error message:
>
> (gnome-terminal:7589): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_get_colormap: assertion
> `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

That's really not normal.  The last time I saw that sort of error was
when the user's ~/.gnome* directories got whacked.

> I'm wondering if this is why gnome-panel dies, too, after gnome-terminal
> fails to come up. I've CTRL-ALT F1 and logged in as root and killed
> gnome-panel with no success. It starts back up, as it should, but
> doesn't get displayed in X.

Probably.

> This is a show-stopper for me. I can't use FC5 without gnome-terminal
> and other gnome apps. I have specific programming needs at work which
> gnome-terminal meets flawlessly, when working. konsole is a poor
> substitute, but can be used. xterm is preferrable but I've not learned
> how to control CTRL-H vs DEL, etc.

CTRL-H -> DEL is simple, "stty erase <press del key>"

> I hope this solveable Fedora folks listening? I'm on too many lists and
> don't need another one, so don't plan to cross-post this to a fedora list.

I don't recall, but was this an upgrade or a fresh install?  I now have
two machines up on FC5, an Athlon-64 laptop with ATI graphics and an
Athlon with nVidia (the nvidia thing was a right bitch to get working)
but neither exhibit that problem.  Note that they were both fresh
installs--not upgrades.  The laptop/ATI seems quite stable, the
Athlon/nVidia hasn't been up long enough nor flogged hard enough for me
to determine its stability yet.  It's running washing machine tests
right now and I should know more tomorrow.

-    Overweight:  When you step on your dog's tail...and it dies.    -