Gnome FC5 Error

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 1 23:12:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 15:26 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Mon, May 1, 2006 3:10 pm, Rick Stevens said:
> > On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 19:09 -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
> >> I mentioned in a previous email some issues with running gnome-session
> >> as my default X-win manager for FC5. The major problem it seems is when
> >> I run gnome-terminal. I have tried xfce, which is quite nice but lacking
> >> of some features I prefer. So, I'm back to KDE, which isn't a bad
> >> alternative to Gnome.
> >>
> >> I use Lineakd for mapping my keyboard and I have a key assigned to
> >> "gnome-terminal --geometry 80x60". Even in KDE when I use it, g-term
> >> comes up but it remains black. So I ran it in konsole and here's the
> >> error message:
> >>
> >> (gnome-terminal:7589): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_get_colormap: assertion
> >> `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed
> >
> > That's really not normal.  The last time I saw that sort of error was
> > when the user's ~/.gnome* directories got whacked.
>
> I started having problems with the KDE panels, plus the background image
> wouldn't change. I removed kdesktoprc and that solved both issues.

Both the gnome-terminal and the KDE panels?

> >> I'm wondering if this is why gnome-panel dies, too, after gnome-terminal
> >> fails to come up. I've CTRL-ALT F1 and logged in as root and killed
> >> gnome-panel with no success. It starts back up, as it should, but
> >> doesn't get displayed in X.
> >
> > Probably.
>
> I'll give gnome a re-try after removing .gnome2 (?) Could gconf.d have any
> issues?

Well, it could if you saved a weird session.  Try deleting the
~/.gconfd/saved-state file for the user in question, log in as that user
and save the session.

BTW, you had mentioned earlier that you didn't know how to save a
session when you wanted to.  The command is "gnome-session-save".  It's
not on the menus as it once was.  You can "gnome-session-save --gui" and
it'll pop up a dialog box regarding the state of the save.

> >> This is a show-stopper for me. I can't use FC5 without gnome-terminal
> >> and other gnome apps. I have specific programming needs at work which
> >> gnome-terminal meets flawlessly, when working. konsole is a poor
> >> substitute, but can be used. xterm is preferrable but I've not learned
> >> how to control CTRL-H vs DEL, etc.
> >
> > CTRL-H -> DEL is simple, "stty erase <press del key>"
>
> Yes, that doesn't work... It's not that part of controlling Xterm that's a
> problem. I run a program on login. I'd just like NOT to have to do that...
> It's a minor issue, but having to run it everytime is annoying.

I can grok that.  Of course, you could add something to the bash login
(or whatever shell you're using) to determine if you're in a gnome-term
or regular xterm and tweak things accordingly.

> >> I hope this solveable Fedora folks listening? I'm on too many lists and
> >> don't need another one, so don't plan to cross-post this to a fedora list.
> >
> > I don't recall, but was this an upgrade or a fresh install?  I now have
> > two machines up on FC5, an Athlon-64 laptop with ATI graphics and an
> > Athlon with nVidia (the nvidia thing was a right bitch to get working)
> > but neither exhibit that problem.  Note that they were both fresh
> > installs--not upgrades.  The laptop/ATI seems quite stable, the
> > Athlon/nVidia hasn't been up long enough nor flogged hard enough for me
> > to determine its stability yet.  It's running washing machine tests
> > right now and I should know more tomorrow.
>
> Tomorrow never comes, but let us know. This was a fresh install. I prefer
> fresh installs, however usually save off the subdirectories in my home
> directory, such as docs, media, pics, palm, etc.

Yup.  Actually, due to some weirdness I inflicted on it, my machine ate
the LVM config and I had to start over.

I will warn people wanting to use the nVidia drivers...before you even
start, make sure you have the following RPMs installed:

	kernel-devel OR the kernel source itself
	xorg-x11-server-sdk
	pkgconfig

Also be aware that there are some, uhm, "issues" with SELinux and the
nVidia driver.  They don't set the contexts correctly--even if you
run the installer with "--force-selinux=yes".  I haven't built up the
correct changes yet, but until you set them correctly you have to run in
permissive mode.

-         "OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't TOUCH anything!"         -