Gnome FC5 Error

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Thu May 4 08:56:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 13:51 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 09:35 +0200, Andrew Kelly wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 10:26 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > > You should squawk it to the Gnome people.  They've already changed a
> > > number of things due to complaints.  Gnome's just as customizable as it
> > > ever was, there just isn't the super-simple GUI stuff to do it anymore.
> > > However, to turn automatic session save off, go to
> > >
> > > System->Preferences->More Preferences->Sessions
> > >
> > > Uncheck "Automatically save changes to sessions" and check "Ask on
> > > logout".
> >
> > If you could show me how to make that actually work I'd be a remarkably
> > happy camper.
> > In the Good Old Days(tm), this would give you the chance to tick a
> > checkbox and Boom! you'd have the same session at next login. FC5 won't
> > offer the checkbox, and at next login you have a rather bullocksed
> > session. Mine opens with the save-session applet, an x-term, my home dir
> > open in a minimized Nautilus window, and Evolution covering half the
> > screen. None of which I asked for, mind you.
>
> Ok, I turned off the "Auto save changes" and turned on the "Ask at
> logout" and it behaved in the way you described, so something is
> obviously different.  If I have all three checkboxes on, logging in
> results in the same layout I had when I logged out.

Exactly. As long as you log out with what you want to see at login
everything is peachy.  But that kind of defeats the purpose, non?

> > <snip>

> > > It has, indeed.
> >
> > Have we touched yet upon external monitor issues on the laptop?
>
> I haven't really played with it on the HP I have.  I did turn on dual
> head mode but the external port simply mirrored the main display.

That's how far I've gotten as well. My current temporary compromise to
run my laptop with 1024x768 and push it to the monitor. Not happy, but
at least I can be productive (the lt has become my primary workstation
unfortunately) and keep the boss out of my hair.

> have NOT played with the xorg.conf file yet.  If I get a chance to
> tonight, I will.  I intended to last night but got stuck going to dinner
> with a vendor instead.  EXCEEDINGLY dull!

Hm, I'll trade you my 4 week gout attack for your boring vendor dinner.
Where can I mail it?

:-)

Any chance you can make your xorg.conf available when you're done with
it?

Andy