Named configuration

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 4 18:02:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 09:50 -0700, Scott Becker wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a secondary dns server. I've got the zone
> transfer authorized but get a local permission error:
>
> May  3 17:27:14 www2 named[915]: dumping master file: tmp-XXXXlUMGRj:
> open: permission denied
> May  3 17:27:14 www2 named[915]: transfer of 'fastbid.net/IN' from
> 216.57.210.178#53: failed while receiving responses: permission denied
> May  3 17:27:14 www2 named[915]: transfer of 'fastbid.net/IN' from
> 216.57.210.178#53: end of transfer
>

> I'm running RHEL4 ES and the bind install uses a chroot. I'm unfamiliar
> with this chroot configuration and I've never setup a slave before.
> It seems that named should be using /var/named/chroot/var/tmp for it's
> tmp files. This folder is owned by named:
>
> drwxrwx---  2 named named 4096 Mar 13  2003 tmp
>
> and should not generate this error. I suspect that named is trying to
> use a different tmp folder but the error messages doesn't show the full
> path. Any help debugging this would be appreciated. I can't experiment
> freely because it's also a production server. Can named be told to be
> more verbose?

Yes, include "-d val", where "val" is a digit.  The higher the value,
the more verbose the logging is.

You must make sure that /var/named/chroot and ALL of its children are
readable and writable by named.  Yes, "~named/chroot/var/tmp" is
readable, but is its parent (~named/chroot/var)?

Actually, they should be user named, group named.  I don't know why they
insist on distributing the stuff as root:named with 750 permissions, but
they do.  That can be fixed by executing the following commands as root:

	cd /var/named
	chown -R named:named chroot

Hope that helps.
-   To err is human.  To forgive, a large sum of money is needed.    -