Wayward DNS

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue May 9 20:33:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 9, 2006 12:58 pm, Matt O'Donovan said:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Not exactly an install issue but its driving me mad. I have a server that is
> intermittently losing its ability to resolve DNS. It can work for months but
> recently it failed three times in the last 24 hours. Restarting named and
> even restarting the network does not help. Only a reboot. I have hardcoded
> DNS addresses in resolv.conf and the server addresses are fine. Red Hat 9.0.
> Two NICs one multinetted.
>

> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance - Matt

One idea. That's my limit. Age-related.

I had a network card where the tulip driver seemed to time out and I found I
had to stop and restart the network to get it back. Since you said that didn't
help, my idea is to do a rmmod driver and then insmod driver where you
supplant 'driver' with the network card driver that's appropriate.

Now someone can tell me I'm up in the night and that'll give me an excuse to
take a nap.

Karl