Wayward DNS

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed May 10 02:42:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Rick Stevens wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 14:33 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> On Tue, May 9, 2006 12:58 pm, Matt O'Donovan said:
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > Not exactly an install issue but its driving me mad. I have a server that is
>> > intermittently losing its ability to resolve DNS. It can work for months but
>> > recently it failed three times in the last 24 hours. Restarting named and
>> > even restarting the network does not help. Only a reboot. I have hardcoded
>> > DNS addresses in resolv.conf and the server addresses are fine. Red Hat 9.0.
>> > Two NICs one multinetted.
>> >

>> > Any ideas?  Thanks in advance - Matt
>>
>> One idea. That's my limit. Age-related.
>>
>> I had a network card where the tulip driver seemed to time out and I found I
>> had to stop and restart the network to get it back. Since you said that didn't
>> help, my idea is to do a rmmod driver and then insmod driver where you
>> supplant 'driver' with the network card driver that's appropriate.
>
>Karl has a point.  What network cards are you using?  As far what Karl
>did, often just a "service network restart" will do the trick.

One other thought might be that your lease for DHCP might be up. but, the
restart of the network should fix that, I would think. You may want to do
netstat -rn when the network seems to die and see...

>> Now someone can tell me I'm up in the night and that'll give me an excuse to
>> take a nap.
>
>Take a nap, Karl.

somehow taking a nap while driving doesn't refresh, which reminds me of a
favorite of mine:  "I wish to die quietly in my sleep, like my
Grandfather; not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

Karl