Wayward DNS

Matt O'Donovan matt at wifispark.com
Wed May 10 08:39:23 UTC 2006

Thanks to both. I have checked dhcpd.conf and there were only 90 ips
available although the lease was low. I have upped the scope to 250 now and
yesterday was a busy day for the box so maybe that had sth to do with it.

Service network restart does not do the trick but next time it fails (I am
watching it constantly) I will issue the netstat -rn and see what it says!

Cheers - Matt

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Rick Stevens wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 14:33 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> On Tue, May 9, 2006 12:58 pm, Matt O'Donovan said:
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > Not exactly an install issue but its driving me mad. I have a server
that is
>> > intermittently losing its ability to resolve DNS. It can work for
months but
>> > recently it failed three times in the last 24 hours. Restarting named
and
>> > even restarting the network does not help. Only a reboot. I have
hardcoded
>> > DNS addresses in resolv.conf and the server addresses are fine. Red Hat
9.0.
>> > Two NICs one multinetted.
>> >

>> > Any ideas?  Thanks in advance - Matt
>>
>> One idea. That's my limit. Age-related.
>>
>> I had a network card where the tulip driver seemed to time out and I
found I
>> had to stop and restart the network to get it back. Since you said that
didn't
>> help, my idea is to do a rmmod driver and then insmod driver where you
>> supplant 'driver' with the network card driver that's appropriate.
>
>Karl has a point.  What network cards are you using?  As far what Karl
>did, often just a "service network restart" will do the trick.

One other thought might be that your lease for DHCP might be up. but, the
restart of the network should fix that, I would think. You may want to do
netstat -rn when the network seems to die and see...

>> Now someone can tell me I'm up in the night and that'll give me an excuse
>> take a nap.
>
>Take a nap, Karl.

somehow taking a nap while driving doesn't refresh, which reminds me of a
favorite of mine:  "I wish to die quietly in my sleep, like my
Grandfather; not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

Karl

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com