USB Storage support to Thin Clients.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 11 20:51:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 23:18 +0300, davut wrote:
> Thanks for reply. I have HPT5525 Thin
> Client(http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/12454-321959-89307-338927-89307-500797.html).
> Linux 2.4 running on it, and  XFCE 3.X Desktop Manager running on it.
> Unfortunately, XFCE hasn't a dropdown menu or secondary window about
> local devices or USB disk.

I haven't used XFCE in a LONG time.  I'd have to dig it up on one of my
old machines.

> On thin client's OS without connect to server's X server, When I plugged
> the USB disk to thin client, I tried as a root user #mount /dev/sda1
> /mnt/usb but got an error that "/dev/sda1 not found". There isn't sda
> device at system. So, I couldn't use USB disk via mount it on console.
> Then, I connect to the server's X server.  I plugged USB disk to thin
> client, but I could not see /dev/sda on system(on server). What can I do?

Ah, humm, kernel 2.4.  You may need to "modprobe usb-storage" to force
the USB storage module to load up.  Then plugging in your USB drive
should show up.  So:

	1. Unplug the drive
	2. As root, "modprobe usb-storage"
	3. Plug the drive back in

Once that's done, take a look at the output of "dmesg" and see if the
drive was recognized.  If it was, you can either add the "modprobe
usb-storage" command to the end of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script or add
a line to /etc/modules.conf like:

	alias scsi_hostadapter usb-storage

which should force the module to load.  You may also want to add a line
to /etc/auto.misc to do the automount when the drive shows up, e.g.

	usbdisk            -fstype=ext2            :/dev/sda1

This assumes that the /mnt/usbdisk directory exists.

- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -