How to make file system

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat May 13 04:51:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 7:43 pm, Han Tin said:
> To all,
> I am very new to RHL.  I just install RHL ES server.
> I would like to know how to use mkfs.
>
> df -k
> Filesystem       1K-blocks           used Available  Use%     mounted on
> /dev/mapper/volGroup00-LogVol00
>                        420620928         1841808  397412748       1%       /
> /dev/sda               101086               12302     83565         13%
> /boot
> none                   2073628                     0   2073628         0%
> /dev/shm
>
> This is what I got.
>
> How will I create more filesystem        /dev/sda2     /data1  etc..etc...

It appears your space is used already and is mounted under / (root). You could
just create a directory for data1 (mkdir /data1) and begin using it.

On many *nixes, it's been prevalent to create most filesystems in such a way
that they each appear in the output of a df command (try df -h, df -m and
others and see if you like the output better; df -k is the default so just
typing df will give the same output). Part of the reason, IIRC, for this was
that there was a limited number of inodes available to each filesystem and if
it was very big, the kernel wouldn't be able to accomodate the potential
growth.

As disks have become larger and faster, OS disk drivers and kernels have
evolved to better support them and it becomes unnecessary to create the
various filesystems.

Another reason for creating various filesystems was the belief that performing
backups was easier. I do my backups by doing a cp to a completely different
spindle mounted in a different machine. That way, I can have incremental FULL
backups going back 30 days.

Actually, I started doing this way back on Redhat 5.2 after cutting my teeth
on Slackware installed with 1.44MB floppies.

Sorry to ramble around the topic. Count on a couple others to give better
explanations.

> Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance.

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---