network configuration

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 15 17:00:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 03:57 -0700, Nofriyadi Nurdam wrote:
> Hallo Rick, Marc, Stuart and the others
>
> I am very confused.
> I have tried to write: onfiltered=yes
> in file "/etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0"
> After that, Red Hat didn't work. It hanged.
> I have re-installed and now have still the problem.
>
> On the computer there are windows xp, Mandrake and RedHat9.
> I have installed RedHat9 as the last one and without Boot Loader.
> I use Boot Loader from Mandrake.
> As booting the RedHat9, I got message: IP Address 127.0.0.1 is used by
> the other.
> Could the network configuration problem come from the other Linux?

No.  As I told you before, you CANNOT use IP address 127.0.0.1 for an
ethernet interface...it is already used by the pseudo-network interface
called "lo".

We need to know what you're trying to do.  If you use DHCP, then the
/etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0 script should contain (at a
minimum):

	DEVICE=eth0
	BOOTPROTO=dhcp
	ONBOOT=yes

If you have a fixed IP address for the interface, then the minimum
would be:

	DEVICE=eth0
	BOOTPROTO=fixed
	ONBOOT=yes
	IPADDR=www.xxx.yyy.zzz  <---Put the IP address here
	NETMASK=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd <---Put the netmask here

And that should do it.

-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -