New RHL learner

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Mon May 15 21:23:20 UTC 2006

Han Tin wrote:
> Thanks.
You're welcome.
Could you possibly do me a favour and bottom-post to the list? It makes
the thread so much easier to follow. If you're uncertain what I am
talking about, I mean trim an email that you are answering, leaving only
the relevant bits, and then type your replies underneath the points that
they reference (a little like this!)

> I saw them What will be the standard lines shall I include in
> .bash_profile. Example   ^H backspace and terminal and tty stuff.

Most of that should already be dealt with.
when your use logs in the following scripts will be read, in order:
/etc/profile
 - this sets up global variables and similar tasks
/etc/profile.d/*.sh
 - local customisations (for *all* users) go in scripts here
/home/username/.bash_profile
 - local user variables (that aren't provided by /etc/profile)
/home/username/.bashrc
 - aliases and functions that are specfic to a particular user.
/etc/bashrc
 - global aliases and functions

These files will automatically set up readline for you ( so no need for
extra commands to enable the backspace key etc)
You shouldn't really edit /etc/profile or /etc/bashrc as these could be
replaced during software updates

Have you read the template files? They will be fine for most normal
circumstances (they are designed to be).

was there something specific you wanted to do for new users?

Regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy.

believed to be clean.