problem installing fedora core 4 from USB DVD

Sánchez Pérez, Gustavo gsperez at aena.es
Fri May 26 06:57:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 11:00:46 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

>The shell can be found if you press "ALT-F3" during the install process.
>
>The installer has problems finding the disk if it wasn't written EXACTLY
>as the .iso image says (must have exactly the same layout, filenames,
>IDs, ISO9660 header info, etc.)  How did you burn it?

Actually I don't think it is a disk problem, I just download DVD iso image from a fedora mirror, executed sha1sum and I burned it to a DVD, no problem in this process. On the other hand if I try to install from this DVD-disk in a desktop PC with an internal operational DVD-reader there's no problem, after select the instalation method, anaconda starts graphics mode and installation progress without problems.

The problem is, I think, that the kernel which installation boots up doesn't load usb modules, so it can't find /dev/scd0 or simillar when I select cd-rom media as installation method. It is looking just in /dev/hdc which in fact is the laptop DVD-broken-reader (I can't use that).
If I start with linux expert and press ALT+F3 I can see messages but no prompt is presented, same as ALT+F4 where I can see messeges like the kernel ones.

At the beggining of the instalation process, when prompt boot: is presented I've tried things like
	boot: linux expert noapic module=usbcore nofb
	boot: linux expert noapic module=usb-storage nofb
	boot: linux expert
	boot: expert usb_storage
	boot: expert

none of them worked :-(

How can I say that the kernel should load de usb mass storage module/s in order to install from the external usb-dvd-drive???

Advertencia / Confidentiality Notice

Este envío es confidencial y está destinado únicamente a la persona a la que ha sido enviado. Puede contener información privada y confidencial. Si usted no es el destinatario al que ha sido remitida, no puede copiarla, distribuirla ni emprender con ella ningún tipo de acción. Si cree que lo ha recibido por error, por favor, notifíquelo al remitente.

This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you believe that you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender.

Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea