AUTOINSTALL not set..

John Wirt j.wirt.112 at comcast.net
Sat May 27 20:40:29 UTC 2006

In booting, this message appears in the boot sequence:

    aic79xx (2.0.8) AUTOINSTALL not set in its dkms.conf

"aic79xx" is the name of the (Adaptec) SCSI host adapter driver.

Some configuration file is apparently missing or is not correct.
Can/should I fix this? Linux apparently runs fine and I have detected no
file read/saving problems.

I have 3 SCSI drives in my system but two of them are configured into a
RAID 1 configuration that boots to XP. The third drive is separate and
boots to Redhat Enterprise v.3. The boot manager is BOOTIT-NG.  This
works fine.

Apparently, dkms is,

  "*dkms* is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically
built for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion."

The Linux installation I am running was originally configured to run two
of the SCSI drives but I reconfigured it to run one of the drives by
editing fstab, as I recall.

John Wirt

FSTAB:
LABEL=/            /                 ext3    defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot        /boot             ext3    defaults 1 2
none               /dev/pts          devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
#LABEL=/mnt/disk2  /mnt/disk2        ext3    defaults 1 2
none               /proc             proc    defaults 0 0
none               /dev/shm          tmpfs   defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc6          swap              swap    defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom         /mnt/cdrom        udf,iso9660  noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0           /mnt/floppy       auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/cdrom1        /mnt/cdrom1       udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

~