Partition information required

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Sun May 28 23:01:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 05:40:43PM -0000, Salman Siddiqui wrote:

> Hi I know a little about the fedora 4 partitions....i have actually
> done default partitions n installtion of fedora 4 many times...now
> want to create sum proper partitions....
>

> DISC SIZE:20GB (other 20 gb has windows installed)
>
> This is what i plan...
>
> /boot    110 MB
> /var    3 GB
> / 10    GB
> swap    1024 MB (my RAM size is 512 MB)
> /home    rest
>

> pls help me out if I am going correct becuase i can not afford to go
> for installation again....it takes just too much time!!!
>
> waiting for replys soon...thanks

First you need to tell us how it's presently partitioned.  "fdisk -l"
(that's "ell" as in list) will tell you.

Most likely it used just two partitions, one for /boot and one for the
rest that it used LVM to subdivide.  To find out how that's allocated,
run "vgdisplan" and "lvscan".

Actually, you don't want (IMHO) to make hard partitions as above.  It
likely made one large logical volume for / and everything in it.  You
should reduce the size of the logical volume containing / to make room
for new logical volumes for /home and /var.  Swap is probably already
properly sized.

Before I go on, read http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Jesus wasn't (and isn't) politically correct.
Send complaints to root at universe.gov.