root on LV should be used by advanced users only

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Mon May 29 14:17:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 04:25:25AM -0000, Salman Siddiqui wrote:
> root on LVM requires an initrd image that activates the root LV. If
> a kernel is upgraded without building the necessary initrd image,
> that kernel will be unbootable. Newer distributions support lvm in
> their mkinitrd scripts as well as their packaged initrd images, so
> this becomes less of an issue over time.
>
> i found this on following link
> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/benefitsoflvmsmall.html
>
> what this means ???
>
> i cannot give lvm to root??

I think that advice is well out of date.  LVM is fully supported in
FC4.  You are probably running LVM now.  Have you (as root) done as I
advised in my first response:

  lvscan
  vgdisplay

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Jesus wasn't (and isn't) politically correct.
Send complaints to root at universe.gov.