Text-based management?

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Tue May 30 17:19:57 UTC 2006

[mailto:redhat-install-list-
> bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of mylar
> Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 9:39 PM
> To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
> Subject: Re: Text-based management?
>
> On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 21:29, gerrynix wrote:
> > Many thanks Karl!
> >
> > I was hoping for something a little more robust, but that
> > will help with the non tech users I deal with.
> >
> > Any ideas of add-on, character-based tools that have
> > a little more pizzazzzz?
> >
> > Has anyone installed the current ver of linuxconf on FC 4/5?
> > --
> > Best,
> > Nix
> >
> Even if you use text or GUI based config tools it is still a good idea
> to learn to manually configure the system by hand editing the
> appropriate configuration files. It's still a bit more difficult and
> requires a bit of a learning curve but manual configuration is a great
> adjunct to automated configuration using GUI or text based tools.
>
> mylar

It is important to note that if you began to edit configuration files
manually, you should not use automated (GUI, etc.) configuration tools
for the things controlled by the edited files. The configuration tools
may rewrite configuration files deleting the changes that you made
manually. Also the confiiguraton tools may refuse to run if your manual
configuration is unexpected by the tools - usually, automated tool
support only a subset of all the configurations supported by the
configuration file syntax.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com