AUTOINSTALL not set..

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 30 17:57:15 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 16:40 -0400, John Wirt wrote:
> In booting, this message appears in the boot sequence:
>

>     aic79xx (2.0.8) AUTOINSTALL not set in its dkms.conf
>

> "aic79xx" is the name of the (Adaptec) SCSI host adapter driver.
>
> Some configuration file is apparently missing or is not correct.
> Can/should I fix this? Linux apparently runs fine and I have detected no
> file read/saving problems.

That has to do with building kernel modules that aren't part of the
standard driver set (e.g. the spca5xx module for some web cameras).
Don't worry about it.

> I have 3 SCSI drives in my system but two of them are configured into a
> RAID 1 configuration that boots to XP. The third drive is separate and
> boots to Redhat Enterprise v.3. The boot manager is BOOTIT-NG.  This
> works fine.

I'd expect so.

> Apparently, dkms is,
>
>   "*dkms* is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically
> built for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion."

Right.  However, the aic79xx driver is part of the standard driver set
and you don't need dkms to manage it for you.

> The Linux installation I am running was originally configured to run two
> of the SCSI drives but I reconfigured it to run one of the drives by
> editing fstab, as I recall.
>
> John Wirt
>
> FSTAB:
> LABEL=/            /                 ext3    defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot        /boot             ext3    defaults 1 2
> none               /dev/pts          devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> #LABEL=/mnt/disk2  /mnt/disk2        ext3    defaults 1 2
> none               /proc             proc    defaults 0 0
> none               /dev/shm          tmpfs   defaults 0 0
> /dev/sdc6          swap              swap    defaults 0 0
> /dev/cdrom         /mnt/cdrom        udf,iso9660  noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0           /mnt/floppy       auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1        /mnt/cdrom1       udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

The only issues I have with that arrangement (and they're purely
personal) are:

1. I hate using filesystem labels.  They can bite you if you add another
drive to the machine with data on it.

2. Everything is on / except boot.  I much prefer to have separate
partitions for /, /usr, /home and /var--ideally on lvm so they can be
grown if needed.

-      The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.      -