ctrl+alt+[f1 to f6] not working??

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 30 18:08:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 03:16 +0000, Salman Siddiqui wrote:

> can u pls help me on this....my ctrl+alt+f1 to f6 consoles r nt
> working??

You only need to use CTRL-ALT-F1 through -F6 when you are going from a
GUI (X windows) display to a text console.  Once you're in the text
console, just use ALT-F1 through -F6 to switch between them (don't hold
down CTRL).

Also make sure that the text consoles are enabled.  Do:

	cat /etc/inittab

You SHOULD see lines such as

	1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
	2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
	3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
	4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
	5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
	6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

If not, then add those to the bottom of the file (be VERY careful about
this...if you screw up the inittab, your system may go crazy) and enter
"telinit q" as the root user to get the system to reread the file.

-         The world is coming to an end ... SAVE YOUR FILES!!!       -