Fonts on X - solved

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Sep 2 05:31:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, September 1, 2006 5:46 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 16:54 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> On Fri, September 1, 2006 9:08 am, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> > Some time ago, there was a note about putting fonts into X for use with
>> both
>> > the display and OpenOffice.org, etc.
>> >
>> > I kept the docs and had used them on a couple FC4 systems and a RH8.0
>> system
>> > with success.
>> >
>> > I've upgraded 2 of the systems to FC5 and the same processes don't work.
>> >
>> > Here's what I do:
>> >
>> > unzip/untar fonts to /usr/share/X11/fonts/NEWFONTDIR
>> > cd NEWFONTDIR
>> > mkfontdir -a `pwd`
>> > mkfontscale
>> > chkfontpath -a `pwd`
>> > service xfs restart
>> >
>> > So, what am I missing? Even a dreaded MS-like reboot did nothing. I've
>> checked
>> > permissions and whatever else I could think of with a fuzzy brain.
>> >
>> > I did find a small set of windows fonts in an RPM online somewhere during
>> the
>> > late hours last night. It's rpm was created by the author of the web page
>> and
>> > is: msttcorefonts-2.0-1.noarch.rpm
>>
>> Okay, the overwhelming response was, well, underwhelming, so with a fresh
>> brain this afternoon, I dug in a bit more. The msttcorefonts are now
>> installed, but I copied the fonts from my WIN2000 server and have installed
>> those, as well as about 1200 other fonts on a CD my wife wants me to be able
>> to use to create docs for her...
>>
>> Here's what I did:
>>
>> locate msttcorefonts revealed that I could
>> # cd /usr/share/fonts
>> # ls <=- the fonts I had available were there. Annoying that the path change
>> in FC5 hosed all the fonts in
>> # cd /usr/share/X11/fonts
>>
>> I did
>> # mv /usr/share/fonts/* /usr/share/X11/fonts
>> # rmdir /usr/share/fonts
>> # ln -s /usr/share/X11/fonts /usr/share/fonts
>>
>> Then, I wrote a script named updfonts.sh:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> echo "update file is /etc/X11/fs/config"
>> #DR=/usr/share/X11/fonts ;# linked to next line dir
>> DR=/usr/share/fonts
>> cd $DR
>> echo "Directory listing of $DR"
>> ls -t | grep -v util | grep -v encodings
>> echo -n "Enter Directory Where Your New Fonts Are (x=cancel) : "
>> read FD
>> if [ "$FD" = '' -o "$FD" = 'x' ] ; then
>>   cd $DR
>>   echo 'Nothing Done'
>>   exit 1
>> fi
>> cd $FD
>> mkfontdir -a `pwd`
>> mkfontscale
>> chkfontpath -r `pwd`
>> chkfontpath -a `pwd`
>> service xfs restart
>> cd $DR
>> exit 0

> [...]

No problemo... It's nice to know that if I use some gray cells, I can solve
some of my own now and again.

So, why don't you hire some help, eh? Life's too short to sacrifice it on the
boss's alter, isn't it?

Karl

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---